Gorgeous yellow flower!

Gorgeous yellow flower!
Picture taken by Bubbly :)

Friday, October 9, 2009

Relationships

What do you think when you hear the word "relationship"? Perhaps a couple holding hands, or a boyfriend/girlfriend. This simple word has been on my mind for months and is probably something I should not worry about, but it seems inevitable. Yesterday, something was discovered that sparked a "buzz" around my school. I was told by two of my friends that I had something to do with this (which shocked me). I immediately raced home and found out for myself. Basically, a friend of mine wrote about me and other girls who had "rejected" him. Reading this depressing story about how his heart is broke almost made me cry (I'm not kidding, I am overly sensitive). Not for the reasons you would assume, however. Yes, I was sad that he had not "found someone" and that he had relationship issues. However, in my opinion, it is not that big of a deal. It's not like everyone has a girlfriend or boyfriend in high school. We are 16 for goodness sake! Unless he's expecting to marry on graduation day, there is no time constraint. Society puts far too much emphasis on this kind of "love." Relationships only complicate things (not that I'm against them). Sure, they're fun and exciting, but they are only temporary. Like everything in life (as I mentioned in my blog post "Bubbles"), nothing lasts. Eventually one will experience a break up or being "dumped." This rejection seems far worse then being rejected for asking to date in the first place (but I wouldn't know).

These were the same opinions I held to when I went to a dance with this friend. I didn't want to go, but I was glad I was brave enough to step out of my comfort zone. I had a great time and it was certainly an experience! About two weeks later he asked me out (by a text message). I didn't really know how to react. I wasn't thinking about relationships (okay, I was, but I wasn't expecting them) and wasn't sure how to handle the situation. To be perfectly honest, I did not think I would ever date until college. I didn't see a reason to have a boyfriend in high school. Since I'm a Christian, I wasn't sure if it was the best thing to do at that age (15). So I explained this to him, in a genuine way. However, a rejection is a rejection and no explanation can prevent that. I felt bad. It hurt me also-to see a good friend sad because I wasn't "ready" for a relationship. Now, things have changed.

I have another friend, who goes to my church. He is extremely sweet, outrageously funny, extraordinarily talented, and most importantly, has the same beliefs as me and is a Christian. See, I don't think it's right to date someone who has different views on religion. God is the number one priority in my life. If a boyfriend doesn't have the same priority, there will undoubtedly be problems in that relationship. A relationship with God comes first. Once that is firmly established, one can consider other relationships. Over a plethora of conversations, through talking, phone calls, and text messages, we got to know each other better (I like to talk... a lot!). I enjoyed spending time with him and things just "clicked." Sometimes, things just happen. You can't prevent the sun from rising each day or the stars from shining so brightly. In the same way, you can't stop two people from liking each other. It simply happens.

Relationships are complicated, and I am still confused on the issue, however, there is one relationship in which there are no misunderstandings, and that is my relationship with my Savior. When commenting on my friend's blog, I wrote the following:

You don't need this kind of love to satisfy you. The love of the world does not bring happiness as society claims. God's love is the only thing anyone needs in life and it gives eternal joy. Jesus loves you. As cliché as it sounds, it is the only truth in life. A relationship with God is what you need. He loves unconditionally. And no matter how many times you get rejected by imperfect people, God will never let you down. 1 John 2:5 says, "But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him."


Despite people rolling their eyes at my attempt to mention "Jesus loves you" or talk about my faith, I see it as my only purpose in life. I'm not living to find that special someone or look for love. I've already found my true love, which is Jesus. I cannot imagine life without Him. I live to please Him because He loves me and loved us even before the world began-before and after the first human sinned. Romans 5:8 says "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." This love is more powerful than any in the world. It is the best relationship you can ever enter, and it is eternal. Compared to a week, a month, a year, perhaps 50 years, this is one relationship that never ends. There is no "till death do us part." Death cannot separate God's love and nothing will.

Romans 8:38-39

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

-Holding hands photo found on Google

2 comments:

marieLanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marieLanne said...

You have such a good heart and its nice to see that your faith is so strong. I have personally been confused about relationships as well and your post has just helped give me another look at things.:)