Gorgeous yellow flower!

Gorgeous yellow flower!
Picture taken by Bubbly :)

Monday, September 28, 2009

The Smell of Fall

This morning I was optimistic. I walked outside, ready to take on my day and drive to school, wearing a cute, fun, summer outfit consisting of bright yellow shorts and a navy blue tank top. The shorts were courtesy of my generous grandmother who spoils me at every opportunity. I had checked the weather report yesterday, but my memory did not correctly calculate what forty degrees feels like. Especially considering this so-called "fall" has been warmer than our summer! I was getting accustomed to the high of seventy-seven and low of sixty. This is what weather is supposed to be like (in my mind). Perhaps in Texas, but this is the Midwest we're talking about. Not exactly what you would call paradise.

As I skipped out the door, full of glee and eagerness to begin the day with a smile, it faded as fast as a two-year old's patience. I sprinted back inside, into the comfort of my house, slamming the door behind. After racing upstairs, I threw on some jeans and a jacket. I told myself I wouldn't wear jeans, at least not until I had to. My goal was to embrace the warmth of summer for as long as possible. Unfortunately, everything comes to an end at some point. Today was that day.

The wind brought a sharp, bitter coldness, complete with the smell of fall. Yes, the smell of fall. Though my friends declare me crazy, I will hold to my opinion that fall has a distinctive and almost nostalgic smell. It reminds me of the inevitable transformation of summer's flourishing life to the magnificent colors of fall's leaves. This feeling is not necessarily bad, simply different. The shift of seasons brings more changes than the outside appearances. School, colds, clothing, and even emotions. I am glad for seasons and the variance they bring.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 says "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven."

This is not merely talking about literal seasons, but seasons of life. Seasons of loneliness, sadness, or perhaps happiness and success. Nothing is permanent, everything is temporary. If you are experiencing a season of loneliness where you have no friends, be encouraged that it will not stay that way. God will bring friends and the season will eventually end. If you are in a season of success and happiness, remember that you will never permanently be happy. Only God can fill that void and bring true joy. Everyone has their valleys and their mountain tops, but only for a season.

~The creator of the universe created the changing seasons, both weather and experiences. I thank Him for His outstanding creativity to create the awe-inspiring colors of fall and the smell fall brings!

-Photo by Bubbly

No comments: