Gorgeous yellow flower!

Gorgeous yellow flower!
Picture taken by Bubbly :)

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ecclesiastes



I just finished reading Ecclesiastes. Last year I read it with one of my good Christian friends from FCA for our accountability partner time (where we talk, read the Bible, and encourage one another in our walk with God). It's funny how a passage or book can speak to you completely different each time your read it. Actually, it's cool! I love how the Word works. First of all, it is God, secondly, He designed it to be full of encouragement, the exact second you read it. There are no coincidences. Amazing. I'm simply stunned by His plan. I LOVE God and the Bible!

At first glance, the author of Ecclesiastes, King Solomon, appears to be extremely depressed or suicidal! His first words are: "Meaningless! Meaningless! Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless" (Ecclesiastes 1:2). This is coming from a man who had everything. He was the wisest, richest, most famous king in the world! Yet, his conclusion is that it's all meaningless. Confusing? At first, but the chapter unfolds itself and explains his reasoning, which is not as depressing as it sounds.

The entire book is composed of Solomon's observations on life. He sees that people work, day after day, for ultimately nothing. Even if you possess great wealth and wisdom, like him, the same fate awaits everyone: death. This is depressing. No one wants to die or know that their work here on Earth will eventually end. The only option is for us to enjoy the time we have, then. But, even a life with "enjoyment" is not as fulfilling as a life filled with God. The last two verses reveal the true meaning of life.

Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

"Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man.

For God will bring every deed into judgment,
including every hidden thing,
whether it is good or evil."

This was comforting. To know that, even though the idea of a temporary life filled with work, is depressing, God gives us hope. If you live respecting God and His commandments, you will be blessed. I know that Jesus gives me an indescribable joy and peace. It's like nothing of this world. Not even money or wisdom can give you that.

Now I, being a curious and avid learner, decided to do some research on the word "Ecclesiastes." The first "definition" I found was from dictionary.com, and was a "cultural definition."

Cultural Dictionary

Ecclesiastes [(i-klee-zee-as-teez)]

A book in the Old Testament containing the reflections of a philosopher known as “the Preacher.” “Vanity of vanity saith the Preacher, &ellipsis; all is vanity,” where the word “vanity” indicates that striving is in vain, because death comes to all, and “there is no new thing under the sun.” He believes that our character and achievements do not affect our fate. “The race is not to the swift nor to the strong.” He concludes that one should enjoy the good things found in life until death brings oblivion. The argument and tone of this book are very unlike those of the other books of the Bible. (See nothing new under the sun, A time to be born and a time to die, and Vanity of vanities; all is vanity.)

The second definition I found was from Wikipedia, and had the word "disambiguation" in parentheses. Since my vocabulary is limited, I looked up the word. Of course, dictionary.com left me with this vague answer: "to remove the ambiguity from; make unambiguous." Thank you for clearing that up! As if I couldn't use my elementary education to decipher "disambiguation" as removing ambiguity. Anyway, I then proceeded to look up the word "ambiguous." I thought I knew the meaning, based on context clues from reading, but I wanted a precise definition, which turned out to have multiple meanings. The most appropriate one being this: "of doubtful or uncertain nature; difficult to comprehend." Perfect! So my rough conclusion of the meaning of "Ecclesiastes," or "disambiguation," is the act of trying to solve mysteries. Solomon, in this case, was attempting to answer the most ambiguous question: "What is the meaning of life?" He accomplished this very well, considering it lines up with God's purpose for us (if it didn't, I would question the Bible's validity, but I believe the Bible is true, and written by supernatural means of God speaking through people, certainly not your average book!).

I am so glad that life is not meaningless or depressing, as it appears. No. There is a much deeper and larger purpose to it. Something that would be impossible without the Creator of it all. Thank you Jesus for giving us hope! Give the glory to God, because He brings joy to life.

Ecclesiastes 12:1

"Remember your Creator
in the days of your youth,
before the days of trouble come
and the years approach when you will say,
'I find no pleasure in them'-"

-Ecclesiastes sign picture found on Google

-Dictionary.com cultural definition

-Orange flower picture taken by Bubbly :) It captures God's beauty perfectly. I'm so grateful I can enjoy His creation.

No comments: