Gorgeous yellow flower!

Gorgeous yellow flower!
Picture taken by Bubbly :)

Monday, January 25, 2010

Life


Are you living? You may think it's a simple question and answer: "Yes, I do believe I am breathing and my heart is beating." I think there's more complexity lying beneath, though. This morning I finished reading Psalm 119-the longest psalm in the Bible, comprised of 176 verses. It's now one of my favorite psalms. Throughout it, the word "life" is mentioned twelve times. You probably think it's not significant, but every time it's used in the same way.

25 I am laid low in the dust; preserve my life according to your word.


37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things; preserve my life according
to your word.

40 How I long for your precepts! Preserve my life in your righteousness.

50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.

88 Preserve my life according to your love, and I will obey the statutes of your mouth.

93 I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have preserved my life.

107 I have suffered much; preserve my life, O LORD, according to your word.

109 Though I constantly take my life in my hands, I will not forget your law.

149
Hear my voice in accordance with your love; preserve my life, O LORD, according to your laws.

154 Defend my cause and redeem me; preserve my life according to your
promise.


156 Your compassion is great, O LORD; preserve my life according to your laws.

159 See how I love your precepts; preserve my life, O LORD, according to your love.


I don't think God had short-term memory loss. If it's worth mentioning twice it's probably important. But twelve times in the same chapter? Most of the verses included "preserve my life." What does this mean? I don't think it should be understood completely literal, although that might be what it was originally supposed to signify. Christians can use this differently. God saves us everyday. Although we initially received salvation from Jesus' blood, God gives us life everyday also! He also preserves our life from unholy things that could shorten our life. If we just follow Him, we'll be safer all-around. And, we'll experience life to the fullest! John 10:10 is one of my favorite verses. It's God's promise for us.

John 10:10 (NIV)

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."

Not only does our heavenly Father promise us life (which is a precious gift), but He gives us life to the full! God didn't intend us to treat life as this serious, negative, horrible place. We should treat every second He gives us as a gift, and be joyful! No where in the Bible does it say "don't have fun." I often overlook this detail and treat life as this serious thing. Yes, some seriousness is healthy, but we weren't created just to work. Some people think being a Christian means being a "goody-two-shoes" who follows a list of rules and can't do anything fun. Now, my idea of fun might differ from a non-believer involved in the things of this world, but I know that wholesome, God-intended "fun" is better than any noddy, dirty, perverted "fun" of the world. I experience way more joy by knowing Jesus loves me and reading His word! Telling dirty jokes, drinking, doing drugs, having sex, and everything the world considers "a good time" leave you empty. It's only temporary. But God's joy lasts for eternity.

Life isn't meant to be boring or depressing. God brings life! Embrace His perfect gift, and experience His joy! :) You might have thought you were living, but are you really?

-Life picture found on Google. I thought it accurately displayed a full life, just like my Father promises. Thank you Lord for giving me life!

No comments: