Gorgeous yellow flower!

Gorgeous yellow flower!
Picture taken by Bubbly :)

Friday, January 15, 2010

A protest against protesters



A protest against protesters... a new experience for me! Actually, I've never been in a protest. I haven't even seen a protest firsthand before. Especially, considering the small size of this ordinary, boring town. I thought my Friday night would merely involve a trip to the Christian bookstore!

It wasn't a coincidence (since they don't exist). The second I walked outside into the high school parking lot, my brother stopped and talked to a senior (he's a freshman) acquaintance. "Hey, do you want to hear my chicken story?" Yeah. That's how random, yet funny and charming my brother is. Everybody loves him. He proceeded to explain the story of how he found a chicken in his friend's backyard on homecoming night, who kicked the poor animal till it ran away. "Yeah, great story," said our sarcastic friend. Luckily, it didn't end there. He invited us to come to Home Depot at 6:30 tonight. Supposedly (he wasn't well informed, but knew the basics), there is a controversial play performing in town about a Christian killing a gay (homosexual) guy. This, I think, is wrong by itself, but what bothers me further is a particular church's argument. Their slogan is (according to my friend and other sources) "God hates fags." This is not only offending, but completely false! If they would simply read the Bible, it is clear that God is love. He loves everyone (which is why he died on the cross for our sins!), but hates their (homosexuals) sin.

Which leads me to my Friday night occurence. I had planned to make a visit to the two local Christian book stores in town. Traveling all by myself was terrifying. I've had my license for 6 months, but I still tremble at the thought of me being completely independent and alone (I'm a people person and feel insecure being alone in public...). Plus, I'm not the best driver (I crashed into a pole, see previous post "The result of my over-analytical self and lack of observation"). I began my adventure by praying in the car to not crash or get robbed (my two worst fears when driving). God answered my prayer, because neither one happened! Anyway, I walked into the first bookstore with wide eyes and enthusiasm. I had wanted to come there for months, specifically because I had received gift certificates there from some friends on my birthday (6 months ago). I browsed the store and purchased three books, a CD, and a tag for my keys that says "got Jesus?" If I had let myself (and if I had unlimited money), I would have spent the entire night there, perhaps longer. I simply love Christian bookstores. The music, the jewelry, the fiction and nonfiction books. It all excites me! No where else can you find such a vast amount of resources for life. The Bible, of course, being the foremost important. However, devotions, music with a message, and nonfiction books that apply to your life, are also valuable in my eyes.

Surprisingly, I found the other Christian bookstore, which was around the corner from the previous one. It just so happens (God must have planned it), that the Home Depot where my friend was meeting for the protest and prayer, was practically next to my destination. Missing my turn, I was forced to turn into the parking lot and happened to see them the second I turned in. Coincidence? No. God. He must have really wanted me to attend! Now that I had seen them, I decided I had to show up (despite my own will wanting to just get my books and go home). It was scary. I was surrounded by an entirely different culture, and was afraid I was going to either get mugged, kidnapped, or teased. It's hard to stand up for your faith. Especially in a society that constantly fights against it. The local news station was there. I saw students from my school right and left. There were smokers, people resembling hippies (complete with rainbows and peace signs), homosexuals, and the gargantuan mass of people protesting. In the midst of the mass was my friend who invited me. However, I couldn't distinguish the gays from the Christians, or the misled "Christians" from my group. It was a confusing scene, and I was in the middle of it, all alone! Finally, I texted my other friend, and asked for his phone number (the acquaintance who invited me). Eventually, I called him and caught up with the right group. It turns out, they were just as confused as me! Figures. Either way, we began a prayer session.

Fellow Christian students at my school and I gathered around the massive crowd, holding up sings that read: "God is love. 1 John 4:8," plain and simple. We decided to start praying, which is one of the most powerful weapons against Satan and his evil schemes. Among the yelling and honking, we managed to form a circle of about 5-7 people. We prayed for God to give the pastor of the church saying "God hates fags," guidance and to convict him of his sins. We prayed for the students at our school and people gathered around, that we might be able to show them God's love. 1 John 4:8 (our slogan verse) says "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." Other verses were shared, like Philippians 4:8. I felt called to share 1 Corinthians 13, the love chapter. I did have this entire chapter memorized, but I was rusty and had to use my book from my purse. 1 Corinthians 13:1 seemed to impact people the most.

Philippians 4:8 (NIV)

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."


1 Corinthians 13:1 (NIV)

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."
Love is powerful. It has the ability to heal, restore, and fill. Without it, everything in life is pointless. It's left as a resounding gong and clanging cymbal. The only reason we are alive in Christ is because of His unfailing love. I am filled with passion every time I am reminded of it. Hopefully, others see this love in me. Jesus gives me joy and compassion for others. Gays, lesbians, homosexuals. Their sin is wrong. The Bible clearly says homosexuality is wrong.

Leviticus 18:22 " 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Leviticus 20:13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

Romans 1:26-27 "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

Romans 1:32 "Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them."
In the Old Testament days, the consequence for homosexuality was death. A little harsh, you might, say. Well, God (in the New Testament) forgives all sins, no matter how extreme. But, He designed and created us to be with man and woman. It's all part of His perfect plan! Not only is it wrong, but it hurts God to see us rebel against His plan. The last verse struck me the most. Referring to homosexuality, the Bible describes people who "approve of those who practice" it. That's claiming that it's also wrong to support groups who so bluntly sin directly against God. This can be interpreted as, "God hates gays." But, He doesn't! God is love. Therefore, He will never stop loving His people. No matter how perverse or lost we are, He loves us. That doesn't give us permission to sin all we want and directly disobey Him. Yes, we are sinful humans. But, we still have choice. We can choose to do our best to keep His commands. We can make a stand not to support or approve of sinful practices like homosexuality.

This entire topic is extremely controversial. It's led to a protest against protesters! However confusing this world and its opinions might be, we have to remember that we don't have all the answers. Some people need to have a strict answer to everything. Some things in life are simply mysteries. God Himself will never completely reveal Himself to us until Heaven. Here on this Earth, the best we can do is pray. I just pray that others will see God's love. His unfailing love! <3


-God is love image, book picture and heart picture from Google

No comments: