Gorgeous yellow flower!

Gorgeous yellow flower!
Picture taken by Bubbly :)

Monday, January 4, 2010

Temporary Home

This is not my home. No, I'm not talking about my house (or the green monopoly house), complete with a brick chimney and fireplace. I'm not referring to my state, or country. I love the United States, but it's not my home either. In fact, this world is not my home. It's simply a hotel. One stop along the way of a gigantic trip. My life now is just a temporary home. The following song is by Carrie Underwood, and states this message well.



What do you think we mean by "temporary home"? I'm certainly not planning on staying in a hotel for 70 years! And even though I'm going to college soon, I don't mean my house or city. What's my real home, then? Heaven. Simple as that: my real home is with Jesus. I cannot wait to spend eternity with my Creator! To finally see Him face to face, and come home!

Last night, around seven o'clock, I came home... or so I thought. The last hour of the 45 hour car ride (round trip) to and from Florida was miserable. I practically counted the seconds pass, waiting to see my house and climb into my warm bed, surrounded by my pink walls and flowery decorations. I couldn't wait to put my new clothes away and set up my new ipod docking station. It was even exciting to go back to schools and see my friends. Two weeks in Florida and in the car, eating fast food and having irregular sleeping patterns was just not home. Tonight I had my father's home-cooked meal of rice, sausage, and beans (classic Cuban cuisine!). It was delicious to have something other than McDonald's (the unhealthiness bothers me immensely). It felt so good to be home. But, then it occurred to me, that this isn't my home. No. My home is in heaven with God. He has prepared a mansion for me, and I can't wait!

2 Corinthians 5:1-10 (New International Version)
Our Heavenly Dwelling
1Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, 3because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

6Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7We live by faith, not by sight. 8We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 9So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

My FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) Coach (and teacher) sent this passage in an e-mail today. He is sick today and couldn't make it to the meeting, but my friend and FCA leader taught a lesson based on the Carrie Underwood song (above). Every day I am amazed at God's plan. I know I've said it a plethora of times, but I can't say it enough: there is no such thing as coincidences! Recently, I heard on the radio (I forget where or when) this same thing, reminding me that this is not my home. Another FCA friend of mine even wrote a book (not published) titled "This is Not My Home." It occurred to me last night, and now today God is telling me something. I've always wondered how you can listen to God, which is a vital part of prayer (after all, it's not exactly a conversation if only one person is talking, am I right?). I mean, it's not like in the Old Testament where God came right out and literally spoke! But, I think God does speak to us, if not using decibels (is that the right word?). He reveals Himself to me all of the time. Through His word (the Bible), other people, and those "uncoincidental" (yes, I just invented a new word!) experiences like today.

Another great Bible verse (used in my friend's lesson) is Matthew 6:19-20:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."
Again, this is our temporary home (as my brother said many times during the lesson...). It's silly and pointless to treasure "stuff" in this world, because it's not our home. So many times, people value their things. What's more, it won't even satisfy you! At least, not fully. It's temporary, too. Like this so wisely puts it: moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. I love clothes! In fact, I have way too many and my closet should not be full (it's walk-in). But, moths can destroy clothes. Fashion trends get outdated. Sizes become too small. Another downside: you can only wear one outfit at a time (right?). Anyway, you get the point. When you lay on your deathbed, are you going to regret not being more in fashion? Are you going to say goodbye to your clothes, or your family? Tough questions... especially for teenage girls obsessed with fashion. That brand new car you just purchased, sorry to break your bubble, but it's going to eventually rust. That's what happens to metal. In fifty years it will most likely be in a junk yard! Is it so valuable anymore? Your big screen T.V., gold jewelry, computer, etc. could be stolen. It's not worth it to cling onto stuff. I thought about this recently (during my 45 hours in the car, I thought a lot!): what would happen if a fire occurred and I lost all of my possessions. A tragedy, yes, but would I be crushed? Crushed that I lost my suitcase during this temporary home? Hmmm... it's kind of like that when looked at through a different perspective. I would probably cry if I lost everything, but even then, I still have God. Even if I lost my family and friends, I have my strength and refuge, the ultimate Restorer who will comfort me in any trouble. Don't store up treasures on Earth. It's only our temporary home.

-Monopoly house picture and Treasure chest picture from Google

1 comment:

Lisa said...

True that!
Have a great day! God loves you!
2 Thessalonians 3:16