Gorgeous yellow flower!

Gorgeous yellow flower!
Picture taken by Bubbly :)

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Digo la Verdad


Monday's Spanish class was slightly frustrating. We were checking the homework in class like usual. We trade papers and grade each others' work, and then the teacher calls on our names and we tell him our score. Well, I have always been aware that some people cheat. Not just occasionally, but every time. This is annoying considering I have always told the truth. However, yesterday was different. Few students took the care to notice that the directions to the last section were in the preterite form (past tense), and the majority of the class got it wrong. This would mean, that everyone should have gotten a 5 out of 10, which was my score exactly. But me, and my partner (he didn't cheat because of me) were the only ones in the entire class that actually said "cinco," or five. Spanish is my best class. I have gotten straight A+'s all three years, and I have a natural aptitude for languages. So when my teacher heard me say 5, he was shocked. You'd think he knows that the entire class cheats. You'd think he'd actually do something about it or change his procedure, but I doubt that will ever happen. No. I'm stuck with being the only honest student. "Digo la verdad!" (That's Spanish for "I tell the truth.")

Stupid conscience. That's the real culprit! But when it comes down to it, I don't want to lie. Not only would I have trouble sleeping at night due to my guilty conscience, but I also have God to answer to. You see, I am different than most people in my class. Even if they have a conscience like mine (although I doubt any do), they still don't care as much. Why? Because they lack morals. Now, I'm not saying they're all horrible people with no values in life, but I can assume that by their lives, at least some lack a committed faith and relationship with Jesus Christ. Sure, you can know what's right or wrong by mere common sense. But can you have any guilt? Can you truly repent, and if so, to who and why? I have a reason to tell the truth. The Bible gives me the morals and values that guide my life, but more importantly, I desire to do good, because Jesus saved my life. No, I'm not perfect (far from it, actually!). And I'm never going to get there, but by the grace and blood of Jesus, I am forgiven. True repentance involves a change in mind, and a willingness to do better the next time. Only by God can I have the POWER to tell the truth and stand out as a light in this world. I was not happy yesterday. In fact, I was ranting about it to everyone and inside my head all day! Satan wants to discourage me to give in and lie. I'll admit, it is tempting. But praise God for His Word! It's all I need to survive.

Proverbs 12:19 (NIV)

"Truthful lips endure forever,
but a lying tongue lasts only a moment."

What's the benefit of telling the truth? I am confident God not only gives a reward inside my heart now (and a clear conscience), but a reward will come in Heaven as well. Thank-you Lord for answering my prayer. The answers are all in your sacred Word.

Proverbs 12:22

"The LORD detests lying lips,
but he delights in men who are truthful."

Proverbs 14:25

"A truthful witness saves lives,
but a false witness is deceitful."

What better example of truth than Jesus Christ? He is the truth. This song by Casting Crowns was my favorite when I was 11.



-Random cartoon found on Google.com. I have no idea what Tarski's Theorem is. I just like the bottom part about computing the truth. ;)
-Spanish sign picture found on www.Google.es (that's the Spanish Google). It was actually off of a Spanish blog! Isn't that tight? I'm kind of a Spanish nerd, but it actually says: "Jesus, the way, the truth, the life." Technically, there should be an accent on the "u" in Jesus. :)

*For an additional perspective on this topic of truth, see "Grades- Believing the Lie" post.

No comments: